- Name: SWeidner
- Location: Elk Point, South Dakota, United States
My Blogger Code
B5 d+ t k s u- f- i- o- x-- e l- c (decode it!)
My Geek Code
GAT/IT d-(+) s+(): a C+++$ ULC+++>$ P++>++++ L++$>++++ !E W++>$ N+ !o !K w+()@ !O !M- !V PS-(--)@>--- PE+ Y-- PGP>++ t+ !5(-) X+ !R- tv-(+)? b+ DI++++ D++>$ G e+>++ h----(-) r+++ y++++
Steve's random ramblings and technical notes
Friday, October 14, 2005
Security Auditor's Research Assistant
The first generation assistant, the Security Administrator's Tool for Analyzing Networks (SATAN) was developed in early 1995. It became the benchmark for network security analysis for several years. However, few updates were provided and the tool slowly became obsolete in the growing threat environment.
The Security Auditor's Research Assistant (SARA) is a third generation network security analysis tool that:
1. Operates under Unix, Linux, MAC OS/X or Windows (through coLinux) OS'.
2. Supports the FBI/SANS Top 20 Consensus (8 Oct 04).
3. Can adapt to many firewalled environments.
4. Support remote self scan and API facilities.
5. Used for CIS benchmark initiatives
6. Plug-in facility for third party apps
7. SANS/ISTS Certified
8. CVE standards support (20040901)
9. Enterprise search module
10. Standalone or daemon mode
11. Free-use open SATAN oriented license
12. Updated twice a month (we try)
13. User extension support