Steve's random ramblings and technical notes

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

SD Road Hunting Regulations

SD Road Hunting Regulations
Hunters targeting public road rights-of-way during South Dakota's 2004 hunting seasons are reminded about the law regarding hunting from those public areas.
"In particular, knowing and understanding South Dakota's road hunting laws is important," said Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Regional Law Enforcement Specialist Dale Gates of Pierre. "The department asks each hunter to carefully read and understand the laws so we can keep road hunting a viable tradition in our state."
The law currently allows a hunter to shoot at a small game bird, except mourning dove, that originates from within a road right-of-way but actually enters private land air space prior to the bird being shot at by the hunter. For waterfowl, the hunter must be within the right-of-way, and the bird(s) must be in the process of flying over the right-of-way. The hunter may retrieve a bird from private land as long as the hunter is unarmed and on foot.
In addition, if a person is road hunting, he or she must meet the following requirements:
* The person must park or stop their vehicle as far to the right-hand
side of the road as possible;
* If the person who discharges a firearm is more than 50 yards from
the vehicle, the doors on the side of the vehicle nearest the roadway must be closed, but the engine may remain running; and
* If the person who discharges a firearm is less than 50 yards from
the vehicle, all of the doors of the vehicle must be closed and the engine shall be turned off.
* The South Dakota Legislature also made it a Class 1 misdemeanor for
any person who, while hunting a road right-of-way, to negligently endanger another person, or put that person in fear of imminent serious bodily harm.
This law and other laws related to GFP are accessible on the State of South Dakota website at General information on hunting public road rights-of-way can be found on page 26 of the 2004 Hunting Handbook.
Questions on hunting and fishing laws can be directed to a person's local conservation officer or via the GFP website at
PheasantCountry Forum thread here.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?